Skip to main content

Graduate costs

Tuition fees

The fees graduates have to pay are the same across the University. They are all explained clearly on the University's website.

Living costs

Your personal costs will of course depend on your lifestyle. As graduates' circumstances widely differ, the University has provided a helpful maintenance calculator which can give you an idea of what your living costs per year will be.

Caius provides reasonably-priced, high-quality accommodation to all graduates, including a guaranteed three years for PhD students. We also offer excellent dining and social facilities within Caius - including the newly refurbished MCR (the Middle Common Room - the common room for graduates) in our Harvey Road building - and the wider University, so you really can keep costs down. Add to that the world-class libraries, IT facilities and support for student research and you're very unlikely to incur much additional expense in the course of your day-to-day studies.

Costs at Caius

The charges paid by Caius graduates in the 2018/19 academic year are listed here.

Establishment Charge -This fee is your contribution to the College's overall fixed costs. Most Colleges charge such a fee, although some call it a Kitchen Fixed Charge.

Minimum Dining Requirement (MDR) - We strongly believe in the value of members of the College eating together regularly, so we set a minimum number of meals (a three-course dinner in the evening in Hall) you pay for in College per term.

Insurance - All graduates living in College accommodation are charged an insurance premium of around £16 in Michaelmas term. This covers your belongings in your room for the full year.

College bursaries

W.M.Tapp Studentships - Tapp Studentships are awarded annually for research or other postgraduate study in Law. These normally cover full fees and maintenance.

Gonville Research Studentship - Awarded to candidates for admission to Master's or PhD courses, in any subject. Priority will be given to candidates aiming to pursue study for a PhD. The Gonville studentship is tenable for up to three years; it covers University and College fees and also includes a maintenance allowance.

Richard Darlington Studentship - Intended to help gifted students from Somaliland pursue advanced study at Cambridge. The scholarship is primarily intended to support postgraduate students, but undergraduate candidates (including those wishing to pursue a second BA) may be considered.

Bauer Fund - Offers substantial bursaries for the support of outstanding students to whom funding would not otherwise be available.

J.R. Bellerby Award in Economics - Granted for graduate research in Economics.

Stanley Elmore Studentship in Biomedical Sciences - Offered annually.

R.O. Whyte Studentship in the Ecology of Monsoonal and Equatorial Asia is offered to a PhD student and is tenable for three years. 

Graduate students can also apply for travel grants or help with research expenses on a case by case basis.

Other sources of funding

Outside of the College, there are a wealth of opportunities available for funding your graduate studies. These include, but are by no means limited to: your University Department/Faculty, The Cambridge Trust, Research Councils & The Gates Trust. Students studying for a Master’s degree can now also take out a graduate student loan - more information can be found on the government website.

Students are strongly advised to research what funding options are available to them when applying to Cambridge – the University has a very useful funding search page which you may wish to refer to.