Privacy and Cookies
This policy explains what information we gather when you visit the Gonville & Caius College website, and explains how that information is used.
It is important for you to appreciate that the Gonville & Caius College website provides extensive links to other independent sites, both within the University and elsewhere. This policy applies only to direct accesses to the Gonville & Caius College website - URLs starting www.cai.cam.ac.uk. You will need to consult the appropriate information on other sites for information on their policies.
If you wish to restrict or block web browser cookies which are set on your device then you can do this through your browser settings; the Help function within your browser should tell you how. Alternatively, you may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org, which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers.
Please be aware that you may lose some features and functionality if you choose to disable cookies.
|Name||Used by||Description||More informatio|
In common with most web sites, this site automatically logs certain information about every request made of it (see below for more details). This information is used for system administration, for bug tracking, and for producing usage statistics. The logged information may be kept for up to two years.
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms provided on this website for a specific purpose. By supplying this information you are consenting to the College holding and using it for the purposes for which it was provided.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
The following data is automatically collected for each request:
- The name or network address of the computer making the request. Note that under some (but not all) circumstances it may be possible to infer from this the identity of the person making the request. Note also that the data recorded may be that of a web proxy rather than that of the originating client
- The username, when known during authenticated (logged in) access to the site
- The date and time of connection
- The HTTP request, which contains the identification of the document requested
- The status code of the request (success or failure etc.)
- The number of data bytes sent in response
- The contents of the HTTP Referrer header supplied by the browser
- The content of the HTTP User-Agent header supplied by the browser
Logging of additional data may be enabled temporarily from time to time for specific purposes.
In addition, the computers on which the web site is hosted keep records of attempts (authorised and unauthorised) to use them for purposes other than access to the web server. This data typically includes:
- the date and time of the attempt,
- the service to which access was attempted,
- the name or network address of the computer making the connection,
- and may include details of what was done or was attempted to be done.
Disclosure and uses of personal information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device by gathering aggregate information about our users using it to analyse the effectiveness and popularity of this website
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so
Where you have provided information by filling in forms on this website for a specific purpose:
- we will use that information for the purpose for which it was provided. Information supplied by alumni will also be used for fundraising for the College. By supplying this information you are consenting to the College holding and using it for the purposes for which it was provided or, in the case of alumni information, for fundraising.
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- if we have obtained your consent to do so
- when we are required or authorised by law, court order, regulatory or governmental authority to disclose your personal data
- if required to protect the rights, property or safety of the College, its members or others.
Relevant subsets of this data may be passed to computer security teams as part of investigations of computer misuse involving this site or other computing equipment in the College.
In addition, this site uses Google Analytics to help us analyse site usage and to improve it. To support this, selected information about your interaction with the site is sent to Google for them to analyse on our behalf. For more information about Google Analytics see www.google.com/analytics/.
Links to other websites
Access to personal data
For the purpose of the UK Data Protection Act 1998, the 'Data Controller' for the processing of data collected by this site is the Senior Bursar, and the point of contact for subject access requests is the Data Protection Officer, Gonville & Caius College, Trinity Street, Cambridge, CB2 1TA.
The Senior Bursar is also Data Controller in respect of any personal data served as content by this site.