Privacy and Cookies
How we your personal information
This statement explains how Gonville & Caius College (“we” and “our”) handles and uses information we collect when you visit the College website www.cai.cam.ac.uk. Where you engage with the College for another purpose (e.g. as a prospective or current student, as a previous student, as a member of the College or as a visitor to the College), there are other data protection statements to explain our management of your personal information. Where you enter your personal information into an online form for any specified purpose, you will be told about the use we will make of that information (e.g. to send you newsletters or to enable your attendance at an event).
The controller for your personal information is Gonville & Caius College, Trinity Street, Cambridge, CB2 1TA. The person responsible for data protection at the time of issue, and the person who is responsible for monitoring compliance with relevant legislation in relation to the protection of personal information, is the Senior Bursar.
The legal basis for processing your personal data is that it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, where we have concluded that our interests do not impact inappropriately on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You may ask us to explain our rationale at any time.
We collect and process your personal information for operating and improving our webpages, analysing their use and ensuring the security of our website.
We use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of your visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out, for example, the number of visitors to each page of our website. We will delete this after a maximum of 50 months.
We also collect the request made by your browser to the server hosting the website which includes the IP address, the date and time of connection and the page you ask for. We use this information to ensure the security of our websites and we delete it after a maximum of 2 years. We may use and disclose it as necessary in the event of a security concern or incident. For more technical details please see the Appendix to this notice.
The website provides extensive links to other independent sites, both within the University and elsewhere. This policy applies only to direct accesses to the Gonville & Caius College website - URLs starting www.cai.cam.ac.uk. You will need to consult the appropriate information on other sites for information on their policies.
If you have concerns or queries about any of the above, please contact us at the address given above.
You have the right: to ask us for access to, rectification or erasure of your information; to restrict processing (pending correction or deletion); to object to communications or direct marketing; and to ask for the transfer of your information electronically to a third party (data portability). Some of these rights are not automatic, and we reserve the right to discuss with you why we might not comply with a request from you to exercise them.
You retain the right at all times to lodge a complaint about our management of your personal information with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Last updated: Records Manager and Communications Officer, May 2018
Disclosure and uses of personal information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from our website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device by gathering aggregate information about our users using it to analyse the effectiveness and popularity of this website
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so
Where you have provided information by filling in forms on this website for a specific purpose:
- we will use that information for the purpose for which it was provided; it will be forwarded to the Department of the College dealing with that query, and the information wiped from website records after a year. Information supplied by alumni will also be used for fundraising for the College. By supplying this information you are consenting to the College holding and using it for the purposes for which it was provided or, in the case of alumni information, for fundraising.
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties in the following circumstances:
- if we have obtained your consent to do so
- when we are required or authorised by law, court order, regulatory or governmental authority to disclose your personal data
- if required to protect the rights, property or safety of the College, its members or others.
Relevant subsets of this data may be passed to computer security teams as part of investigations of computer misuse involving this site or other computing equipment in the College.
If you wish to restrict or block web browser cookies which are set on your device then you can do this through your browser settings; the Help function within your browser should tell you how. Alternatively, you may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org, which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers.
Please be aware that you may lose some features and functionality if you choose to disable cookies.
|Name||Used by||Description||More information|