Visiting Bye-Fellowship for scholars from the Global South
Gonville & Caius College, University of Cambridge, invites applications for its Visiting Fellowship designed to support research in any field of study from scholars with current academic appointments or their equivalent in the Global South (defined for present purposes as countries on the current OECD ‘DAC’ list.
The Visiting Bye-Fellowship is a limited-term appointment for the purpose of carrying out some specific research project, free of other commitments. The purposes are to permit the scholar to execute this project, to enable the scholar to engage in intellectual exchange with Cambridge scholars and to form connections that might be of longer-term benefit to their own careers and to their own institutions, and to enrich the life of the College and university by widening our own networks and perspectives.
This one-year position is open to established researchers, including those on leave or on secondment from university posts. The successful candidate will have done a minimum of three years of advanced research (postdoctoral or equivalent) and will normally have produced significant published work. The successful candidate is expected to reside in Cambridge, but research trips may be permitted.
The Visiting Bye-Fellowship is tenable for twelve months from 1 October 2023 (or such other date as may be agreed with the successful candidate).
The Visiting Bye-Fellowship carries a stipend of £30,000, paid in monthly instalments, and a small research allowance, currently £950 per annum. The funds may be used to supplement an existing salary, pay pension contributions, or as a research grant. A limited amount of paid College teaching and occasional lecturing and examining are normally allowed.
Additional benefits include:
- Up to ten free meals per week in College
- Free or subsidised accommodation (some of it suitable for double or family occupancy), as available
- Affiliation or other connection to the relevant department or departments of Cambridge University
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- College gym
- Equality of opportunity; the College actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and we encourage applications from all sections of society and in particular, from people who may be under-represented in our community.
- Entry into a position with the College will be determined by the application of criteria related to the duties of the post. In all cases, ability to perform the role will be the primary consideration.
- During the application process, candidates are requested to complete the Equality & Diversity section as part of our Equal Opportunities Policy and monitoring process. The contents of this form will not be disclosed to the selection or interview panels, and all applicant data is managed in accordance with our data protection policy: https://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/data-protection-job-applicants.
- The College has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
- In applying for this role, you will provide personal data which the College will process in accordance with its data protection obligations and its Data Protection Policy. Please click here for a copy of our Privacy Notice for further information about how we process your personal data.
The Application Process
To register and apply, please click here.
The closing date for applications is 12 noon GMT on Tuesday 28 February 2023.
Your application must include:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae, including a list of publications.
- A covering letter indicating:
- Appointment and awards held
- Stipend or other financial assistance receivable after 1 October 2023
- Any appointments or awards applied for and not yet decided
- Subject of proposed research and outline of programme (no more than 1,000 words)
- Any plans for travel or publications, with estimated cost
- A statement of the benefits the applicants expects to derive from their bye-fellowship and what they might contribute to the Cambridge community (no more than 500 words)
References will be requested at shortlisting stage.
For additional information, or if you need any assistance in completing the application, please contact the HR Administrator on 01223 764351 or via email at email@example.com.