Dr Giorgia Longobardi
- College positions:
Bachelor and the Master degrees in Electrical Engineering (University of Napoli Federico II, Napoli, Italy), PhD in Electrical Engineering (University of Cambridge)
PhD thesis (August 2014): 'GaN high-voltage transistors: an investigation of surface donor traps'.
My research interests include the analysis, modelling and characterization of high voltage power semiconductor devices with particular focus on Gallium Nitride based devices and trap characterization. I currently collaborate with the High Voltage Microelectronics and Sensors group in the Department of Engineering.
I have been involved in teaching at Cambridge University for the modules:
- Semiconductor engineering
- Linear circuits and devices
- Digital electronics
- Power Devices.
My expertise in wide bandgap materials for power devices has led to several invited lectures and workshops on the topic:
- (1-2 Nov 2014) 'The case of GaN in power devices', Lecture at the National Tsing Hua Foundation, Hsinchu, Taiwan.
- (April 2015) 'Wide bandgap materials for power devices', Lecture at University of Bologna, Italy.
- (5th June 2015) 'GaN power devices from theory to application: merits and challenges' Workshop at the CPE Tutorial, Warwick, U.K.
- (13th-14th December 2015) 'GaN technologies', Lecture at University of Napoli Federico II, Napoli, Italy.
- G. Longobardi, F. Udrea, S. Sque, J. Croon, F. Hurkx, E. Napoli and J. Sonsky “Modelling 2DEG charges in AlGaN/GaN heterostructures”, Proc of IEEE International Semiconductor Conference (CAS), Sinaia, Romania, pp. 363-366, Oct 2012 - best paper award.
- G. Longobardi and F. Udrea, “On the variation of the 2DEG charge density with the density of the surface donor traps in AiGaN/GaN transistors”, Proc .of IEEE International Semiconductor Conference (CAS), Sinaia, Romania, pp. 155-158, Oct 2013.
- G. Longobardi, F. Udrea, S. Sque, J. Croon, F. Hurkx, E. Napoli and J. Sonsky “Impact of Donor Traps on the 2DEG and Electrical Behaviour of AlGaN/GaN MISFETs”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, 35, 1 , pp. 27-29, Jan 2014.
- F. Udrea, G. Longobardi and M. Brezeanu, “Wide bandgap materials versus silicon for power devices: The case for Diamond, GaN and SiC”, invited paper in Diamond and Related-Carbon Devices II Symposium at the XXII International Materials Research Congress (IMRC) , Cancun, Mexico, August 2014.
- G. Longobardi, F. Udrea, S. Sque, J. Croon, F. Hurkx and J. Sonsky “Analysis of surface donor traps and fixed charges in GaN/AlGaN/GaN high-voltage transistors via the transfer characteristics of a MISFET”, 12th International Seminar on Power Semiconductors (ISPS), Prague, Czech Republic, (oral presentation), August 2014.
- G. Longobardi, F. Udrea, S. Sque, J. Croon, F. Hurkx and J. Sonsky “The Effect of the Surface Fixed Charge and Donor Traps on the C(V) and Transfer Characteristics of a GaN MISFET - Experiment and TCAD Simulations”, 44th European Solid-state Device Conference (ESSDERC), Venice, Italy , (oral presentation), Sept 2014.
- G. Longobardi, F. Udrea, S. Sque, J. Croon, F. Hurkx and J. Sonsky “The dynamics of surface donor traps in AlGaN/GaN MISFETs using transient measurements and TCAD modelling”, International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), San Francisco, USA, (oral presentation), Dec 2014.
- G. Longobardi, F. Udrea, S. Sque, J. Croon, F. Hurkx and J. Sonsky “Investigation of surface donor traps and fixed charges in GaN/AlGaN/GaN high-voltage transistors via TCAD simulations, DC and pulsed measurements of the transfer characteristics of a MISFET”, accepted for publication in a special issue in IET-Power Electronics Jan 2015.
In addition to my love of finding things out and my natural curiosity which always finds me with a new book in my hands, I like defining myself as a nature lover. I am an experienced scuba-diver and a neophyte rock climber and photographer. I also practise several sports, in particular athletics and volleyball.