Works of Euripides (1537)
Lower Library G.1.30
This collection of the eighteen surviving plays of the ancient Greek dramatist Euripides was given to the College in 1570 by its second founder, John Caius. Caius was a physician by profession, but was already an able linguist as a student. In medicine he was a follower of another ancient Greek, Galen, whose prolific writings he published and translated.
Unusually, this volume has twice been a gift to the College. We can only guess how in 1852 the book came to be for sale in a shop in London's Holloway Road, but it was bought there by one C. S. Perceval, who was kind enough to restore it to us.