1956 Golden Reunion
Taking up the challenge of the 1954ers: the second - and biggest, and best - Golden Reunion was celebrated at Caius on 25 September 2006. 45 Caians who matriculated in 1956 and 32 of their ladies enjoyed the occasion - definitely one of the newest and happiest occasions in the College's calendar. And were the first big group to overnight in our splendid New Court (christened "The Stephen Hawking Building" the following April).
The group photograph (below) was taken before Dinner in front of the Gate of Honour. (Comparisons with the Matriculation Photograph of 50 years earlier were mostly made privately.)
Highlights of the occasion were:
- An Exhibition of contemporary photographs from 1956-9, including the Matriculation Photograph.
- A leisurely lunch in Hall, followed by a grand tour of the (new to many of us) College Library.
- Tea in the Master's garden, with a first chance for many of us to meet the new Master.
- A Celebration Service in Chapel, beautifully led and organized by our new lady Dean.
- A Grand Feast in Hall, with entertainment provided between courses by our prize performers including Clive Swift.
We hope to commemorate the occasion by funding a 1956 College Lectureship. We have made a good start with some generous contributions, but more are always welcome.